Here are some of the key rules to remember about living in a GHA public housing community.

Read and Understand Your Lease

Your unit lease is a legal agreement between you and the Gary Housing Authority. If there is anything in it that you don’t understand, please ask us and we’ll be happy to explain.  It’s smart to keep your copy of the lease somewhere safe and easy to find.


You are required to pay a security deposit and a key deposit. This money will be refunded after you move out unless you owe GHA for items such as cleaning, damage to the unit, overdue rent, overdue maintenance charges, court costs, or other charges.

Repair Charges

If you have a maintenance request, or if damage occurs to your unit, please report it to your property manager as soon as possible. There is no fee for routine maintenance of your unit. However, charges will be assessed to repair any damage caused by residents or visitors. Often charges will be lower if the repair is made early before further damage occurs. If you owe money for repairs, you will receive a bill and the charges will appear on your monthly rent statement.

Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors

The smoke detectors in your unit may save your life during a fire. Never disconnect or make your smoke detector inoperable.  A lease charge of $50 will be given for each smoke/carbon monoxide detector, sprinkler head or fire prevention apparatus that has been tampered with.

Paying Your Rent

Your rent payment is due on the first day of every month. If we don’t receive your payment by midnight on the fifth day of the month, there is a $25.00 late fee and you may receive a termination notice.
The Gary Housing Authority (GHA) uses Rent Café to collect rent. Residents can access Rent Café @  If your payment is returned by the bank for non-sufficient funds, you will also be assessed a $25.00 fee. If you have any questions regarding rent payment, please contact your property manager.

Review of Income

The amount of rent you pay is based on your income level, so if your income changes, you must notify your property manager. You must notify us by the 15th of the month to have your rent adjusted for the next month. Your property manager will schedule an appointment to review your income and eligibility and to adjust your rent amount if necessary. We will need written verification of your income change.

Changes in Family Size or Composition

Your housing is also based on the size of your household. If the size of your family changes in any way, you must notify your property manager immediately.


You may have guests stay in your unit for a maximum of 14 days in a row or 30 non-consecutive days per calendar year. If there is a reason that your guests need to stay longer, you have to request approval in writing and obtain written consent from Managment.

Emergency Entry

If there is an emergency, GHA may need to enter your unit without advance notification. Some examples of emergencies include running water, water pipe leaks, smoke, or fire.


GHA is required to inspect all public housing units annually. More frequent inspections may be scheduled as necessary. The date and time of your inspection will be posted on your unit door at least 48 hours prior to the inspection.

Moving Out

You need to provide GHA written notice that you intend to move out at least 30 days before you leave. Everything that was already in the unit when you moved in — such as ice trays, television cables, broiler pans, some appliances, and others — must stay in the unit when you leave. If any of these items are lost or misplaced, you will be charged for their replacement. All keys to the unit must be turned in to your property manager before you leave.

Emergency Phone Numbers

On weekdays, contact your property manager with any emergency maintenance issues. When your property manager is away at night or on weekends and holidays, call (219)755-0450.

Back To Resident Guide Index